Re: LDP bug-tracker

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 04:49:36PM -0400, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
> Although it technically is GPL, this is not what I would call GPL ---
> someday, if the community takes 3.20.32a, figures out how to fix it
> and works it into something superior to or at least comparable to the
> mainstream release, but for right now, they are basically giving us
> their garbage so they won't be responsible to provide support for code
> to their paying customers.  If you ask me, the whole deal smells kind
> of funny.

I don't think this is the appropriate place to get into software
licensing issues, but I'm a strong advocate of the GPL (as opposed
to OpenSource) and I actually kinda like the idea of back-releasing
not-too-old versions of commercial code with a GPL license. I think
it's a lovely bridge between commercial and free software.

I much prefer this approach to that of using "near free" licenses.

regards
Terry

--
terry@albert.animats.net, terry@linux.org.au