Re: Debian Doc Project and LDP -- hail and well-met

Let me clarify two little items which I noticed on re-reading.  Really
sorry for the spam.

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:
>   - the DDP should not overlap the LDP in any way; any efforts for
>     general Linux documentation or free software documentation should
>     go as far upstream as possible, that is, and not excluded to,
>     sending patches to LDP maintainers and upstream software
>     maintainers.  This outlook is nothing less than what is required
>     by the Debian Social Contract.

I meant to say, "any Debian-initiated efforts" need to go the LDP
and/or upstream.

>   - [purely opinion here, no official status to this] I feel that LDP
>     HOWTOs should be distribution-neutral insofar as possible.  Most
>     issues experienced by users are the same no matter the
>     distribution.  "Installation HOWTOs", I feel, should be maintained
>     in general by the distributions rather than the LDP.  General
>     issues (i.e., Hardware HOWTO, Ethernet HOWTO) should be handled by
>     the LDP.

This is a bit idealistic.  I know that there are
distribution-dependant elements to HOWTOs, and I do think that it's
not inappropriate to include these.  Hopefully, such
distribution-dependant bits will be clearly marked as such and a
balance maintained between the different major distributions (whatever
those are).