Re: Informal survey (was Re: Banner ads)

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 05:07:41PM -0400, Donnie Barnes wrote:
> Sometimes there needs to be a trouble maker.  I agree completely with
> Jim's sentiment as well as Kendall's.  This "core team" business is
> silly.  Marketing the LDP is silly.

And ignoring the power of marketing is just as silly.

We must tell people where they can find good quality and free
documentation.

That means concurrencing MacMillan or O'Reilly.

> Sure, if LDP members are already going to be at a trade show or
> conference, then fine, let them get the free booth that's available
> (and for projects like this they always exist) and annoy RH or VA

Sorry that's not the way I see it.

We're not going to hand out flyers, but rather talk with people
wondering why there's a documentation project, why it's free, what we're
doing, what license we use...

We need to explain what the LDP is about, not give away flyers ; it sure
can help but a discussion in the real world is better.

> or someone to print off some flyers to hand out.  But to turn this

We try to do whatever possible by ourselves, and use exterior help
only as the last possibility.

> into something that needs to raise money to support traveling to
> market is silly.  A good free software project will "sell" itself

That's why I never ever had the idea of using a single dollar of the LDP
for this ; it must be kept for serious issue.

We can use publicity instead!

But we'll never add any other banner to the site.

> You folks are going off the deep end (and I'm addressing the "core
> team" here) with issues that just don't matter.  The most important
> thing that this project needs is *maintainership*, not leadership.
> Fix the *technical* issues that still exist (submissions, tracking,
> etc) and forget about all this other crap.

- Submission : fixed
Did you try ldp-submit ?
The ftp will also help that

- Tracking ?????????????

We've never discussed this. Maybe you mean indexing ?

What else do you suggest ?

Let's talk again about DocBook, and we will come to the same conclusion :
 - there's no script to translate linuxdoc to docbook without a glitch
 - we can't impose it to authors who can't convert their docs
 - then someone will suggest man/info/html/fill the blank
 - and finally we'll say we can still wait a bit.

--
Guylhem Aznar, Linux Documentation Project: http://www.linuxdoc.org
PGP key: http://oeil.qc.ca/~guylhem ; Email: guylhem \@/ oeil.qc.ca