Re: working SGML package (was: free vs. non-free debate)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Scot E. Wilcoxon wrote:

> Mention of Linuxdoc led me to Freshmeat and web searches to
> Linuxdoc-SGML
> 	http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/linuxdoc-sgml/
> Which points to the new location
> 	http://www.sgmltools.org/
> Which says SGMLtools has been suspended.

According the website, the project known as SGMLtools 2 has been
suspended, and the reason is that the main driving force, Cees de Groot no
longer has time to carry on the project. The project was started with a
very high profile and a short time-frame to convert from SGMLtools 1.0x,
which is based on LinuxDoc, to SGMLtools 2, based on DocBook.

However, if you look on the web archives of the SGMLtools mailing list at
http://www.via.ecp.fr/ml/sgml-tools/ it is still very much active, and CdG
is also still actively participating in the discussion.

In a recent posting, the following 2 references for DocBook packages were
given:

o Debian: http://www.debian.org/~bortz/SGML-HOWTO/
o RedHat, via the Cygnus tools: http://sourceware.cygnus.com/docbook-tools/

For those interested, here is a clip from the sgmltools discussion list:

deb> Also...is the SGMLTools project actually "suspended" as the website
deb> says, or has the site just not been updated?  It's hard to tell.

CdG> Twice yes (the second one is implied by the first one, of course).
CdG> The project has been suspended and given the fact that every Linux
CdG> distributor seems to want to roll his/her own solution for DocBook
CdG> support, it's likely to stay that way (the incremental rewards of
CdG> working on the project versus just using what RedHat/SuSE/... ship
CdG> seem to be too small).

/Morten

---
Morten Kjeldgaard   <mok@imsb.au.dk>             | Phone : +45 89 42 50 26
Institute of Molecular and Structural Biology    | Fax   : +45 86 12 31 78
Aarhus University                                | Home  : +45 86 18 81 80
Gustav Wieds Vej 10 C, DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark | icq   : 27224900