Re: bug tracking system (was: mini-HOWTO)

David Lawyer wrote:

> > How is this any less true for any other feedback mechanism? The point
> > here is that sometimes it takes an author a week, a month, three months
> > or six months to produce a new version of a document.
>
> It shouldn't take this long.  As soon as it's realized that something
> important (that people are asking about) is missing (or hidden) in a
> HOWTO, the author should modify the doc and create a new version the
> next day.

I think is one of the most unrealistic things I've heard said on this
list.

Even putting aside the implication that being an LDP author carries with
it an obligation to give document updates a higher priority than just
about everything else in your life, I think it's still a flawed
suggestion.

There are whole classes of questions that I'd answer that do not warrant
an update to the document.

I've received countless questions from people about things related to
HOWTO documents I've authored or maintained. Often those questions are
asking for information on things that I've intentionally not included
because I believed they were out of scope, or that are already
documented in other HOWTO documents. There is no way in the world that
I'm going to modify my document to include clauses to that effect for
every such question.

Terry