Re: HOWTO Backup??

Hi,

If you are going to write a backup how-to I suggest that in addition to
explaining your own method of backup using GNU tools you give a general
overview of existing (free and even non-free) backup products for Linux.
You can this way transfer the experience you have adquired working with many
different packages and tell the users what they have to look for when
shopping for a backup tool. Just imagine that a friend has asked you which
tool he should use and that you explain to him in easy to understand terms.

Cheers

Daniel

Mads Randstoft said:
> Hello!
>
> I am currently working as backup admin. I have some knowledge of backing
> up a system, using "barebones" techniques and using free and commercial
> packages. I have experienced pros and cons with both aproces (Barebones
> vs. Full packages) and would like to make a howto on this subject, to
> share my knowledge and perhaps even get more wisdom from other users
> commenting on the HOWTO...
>
> I have never written a HOWTO before, and I only have small knowledge of
> the SGML, but I have read the HOWTO HOWTO, and would be able to make a
> document in that system... I have extensive knowledge of both HTML and RTF
> format, as I have programmed software that uses these systems for document
> interchange...
>
> Any comments or suggestions on this??
>
> btw. The backup system I use now, I have made myself, from a combination
> of TcL, some GNU utilities and some custom made ones, that I have
> programmed myself.
>
> If I am to write this HOWTO I will focus on the barebones, using GNU utils
> for achiving a secure and accesible backup!
>
> - Mazzachre
>

> --

daniel@rawbyte.com
There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.