Re: NetHelp for HOWTOs

On Feb 24,  9:48pm, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> Subject: Re: NetHelp for HOWTOs
>
> Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Stein Gjoen wrote:

> > > Disadvantage
> > > - requires javascript to run
> > > - requires java to compile and make the help package
> > > - requires 2 extra tags for making table of contents as well as
indexing
> > > - uses a slightly odd structure, such as no text under <h1> tags.
> > > ------ end -----
> >
> > You forgot the biggest disadvantage: PROPRIETARY!
>
> All the templates, javascrips and java programs are open
> so I suspect that some kind of porting would be possible.
> Looking at Mozilla I find they too have NetHelp support
> so the (semi-?) proprietariness doesn't worry me that much.

ehhh...I'd be careful about that. From:
http://home.netscape.com/eng/help/details/details.htm

   What does it cost?  Do I need to license Navigator?

   NetHelp, including the API, sample code, and SDK, is free. Much of
   NetHelp's functionality is already built in to Netscape Navigator.
   Sample code used to hook up native applications may be used in your
   product and distributed without a licensing fee. Graphic files, such
   as the buttons used in the SDK's sample help system, can be reused
   without a licensing fee.

   Since Navigator is currently the only browser that supports the level
   of JavaScript needed to run NetHelp, Navigator is required. Bundling
   Navigator with your product requires a licensing fee.

regards,

--
Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg@sgi.com
SGI Tech Pubs     - http://techpubs.sgi.com  | 410-785-2334