Re: if SGML is so great...

Hi.

  at Fri, 05 May 2000 17:50:05 +0200,
 Stein Gjoen <sgjoen@mail.nyx.net> writes:

> My long time goal of document accessibility and integration
> have made me think we need tags for
>
> man pages: <manpage section="1">du</manpage>
> that renders to du(1) in plain text and adds hyperlinks to HTML
> pages and adds to the RELATED list in stub man pages. Some
> commands have multiple man pages, such as mount(2) and mount(8)
> so a section number is needed.

This will be difficult task for Linuxdoc DTD. Just conditional
writing can be done with the current sgml-tools v1, but "to include
the output from the command" may not be done without some work-around.

> HOWTO: <howto>Multi Disk HOWTO</howto>
> that renders to links to that HOWTO in the HTML pages
> and adds to the RELATED list in stub man pages.
>
> In addition I wish the <file> tag rendering was changed to
> file:///pathoffile URL in the HTML document, shown in courier
> or similar font. This too would be handy in stub man pages.

You can use:

 <htmlurl url="file:///pathoffile" name="some file">
or
 <url url="file:///pathoffile">

Is it not sufficient ?

> Rendering of the hyperlinks would be installation dependent,
> so on the LinuxDoc web pages it would refer to sample files
> wheras on a home system it would point to the actual file.

Perhaps, conditional writing can be used here.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>