Re: Style Guide (was Re: I'm a sucker)

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 02:13:44PM +0200, Camille Bégnis wrote:
> I am absolutely aware that really boring documents are not read by
> users.  But what means boring exactly? Boring means that you fall
> asleep when reading a document and then do not read what follows.

A major function of HOWTOs is to tell someone how to do something.  If
you are not doing this "something", then just sitting down to read
thru a valuable HOWTO can be very boring.  But if you can't get your
computer to do a certain task and the solution is contained in the
HOWTO, then the HOWTO is no longer boring.  In many cases people just
use the HOWTO as a reference book and just look up the part they need
to know about.  Even though it might be quite boring to read from
start to finish, reading part of it may solve someone's problem.

			David Lawyer