Re: tag for translators?

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 12:56:31PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / "David Merrill" <dcmerrill@mindspring.com> was heard to say:
> | 1. Use the <othercredit> tag.
> | 2. Give a mention in the "Acknowledgements" section of the document.
> | 3. Mention in the version statement if appropriate.
> |
> | Any other ideas?
>
> Use othercredit with a role attribute (<othercredit role='translator'>,
> <othercredit role='xmlconverter'>), standardize those role values within
> your community (you can even make a DocBook subset that only allows
> specific keywords in the role attribute), and modify the stylesheets so
> that they print the titlepage that you think is appropriate...

Well, Normal Walsh is certainly an authority in this area! :->

So, unless anybody can present a reasoned objection, which I find
doubtful, let's establish the standard as discussed, and document it
in the LAG.

1. Use the <othercredit> tag. For language translators, use the
"translator" role. Note that this type of attribution only applies to
the single translation on which the translator worked:

        <othercredit role='translator'>

For DocBook (or eventually DB SGML to DB XML) converters:

        <othercredit role='converter'>

(Does anybody see problems with this? Should we use separate
'xmlconverter', 'dbsgmlconverter' (or whatever) and such? Doesn't seem worth the
complexity to me.)

2. It is polite to mention translators and converters in the "Acknowledgements"
section of *all* versions.

3. The version notes of the first version generated from a new soure
format or in a new language should also mention the converter or
translator.

This needs to be written up and added to the LAG. I'll do it if nobody
else volunteers.

The stylesheet ldp.dsl(?) also needs to be updated so <othercredit>
tags will generate output.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net

One person's error is another person's data.