Re: experimental release of linuxdoc-tools (based onsgml-tools 1 .0.9)

Hi.

In article <4.3.1.0.20000518183436.00ae8dc0@mail.brightmail.com>,
  at Thu, 18 May 2000 18:36:19 +0200,
    on RE: experimental release of linuxdoc-tools (based onsgml-tools 1 .0.9),
 Guylhem Aznar <guylhem@ifrance.com> writes:

> At 09:24 18/05/00 -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > > I suggest you also rename each executable "sgml2xxx" to
> > > "linuxdoc2xxx".
> >
> >Come on, Guy, pay attention.  :-)  He said that he wasn't changing these
> >with this release to maintain backwards compatibility.

Yes. users may needs sgml2xxx for backwards compatibility, I think.

> This is not backward compatibility for me :-)
> Maybe a make install-backwardcompatible or a ./configure option on
> by default to install symlinks?

I prefer to drop all the symlink commands rather than to rename them,
so configure option may be good suggeston, if the default is to keep
the backward compatibility. I will consider your idea, Thanks Guylhem.

I have to update the manpages before that, becuase if all the symlinks
are dropped, then manpages for sgml2xxx(1) will be meaningless, so
the manpage for the main command should includes all the contents
of other commands. Now this is not implemented yet.

> >I'd rather see them stay for now, and perhaps a couple of "bug-fix"
> >versions later, then consider changing the names.  There should at
> >least be some warning to users who want the newer versions that
> >the upgrade will break all of their wrappers and scripts

Currently, the sgml2xxx commands don't conflict with other tools,
so they will remain, at least for the time being.

(Configurtion option to eliminate them, may be added later.)

> vi script
> :%s/sgml2/linuxdoc/g

if all the symlink commands are removed, then use

 :%s/sgml2/linuxdoc --backend /g

I think it will work.

In article <4.3.1.0.20000518181600.00ae8130@pop.ifrance.com>,
  at Thu, 18 May 2000 18:21:57 +0200,
    on Re: experimental release of linuxdoc-tools (based onsgml-tools 1.0.9),
 Guylhem Aznar <guylhem@ifrance.com> writes:

> >*** Currently, there are no official homepage for Linuxdoc-Tools.
> >     You can reach the current maintainer (me) on ldp-discuss list
> >     (Infomation about this list is available from LDP website,
> >      <http://www.linuxdoc.org/>) or sending mail to <sano@debian.org>.
>
> I suggest you create a website : we can add a tools.linuxdoc.org subdomain.
>
> If you can not, please tell me and I will try to make it (fast&dirty)

Thanks. If you can, I would appreciate your help.
I wish to concentrate on bug-fixes only now.

BTW, I found more bugs in 0.3.6, so 0.3.7 will be uploaded soon.

I forget sgml2latex does have "-b" option when I added
the option "--backend / -b" to main command. Now I switched
to "--backend / -B" for backend-selection.

This is compromise, since I add this "--backend" option
in order to get some "upward-compatibility" like feeling
with SGMLTools-Lite. But currently backward one seems to be
more important than upward one for this tools.

0.3.7 will also includes the pdf patch from Juan Jose Amor.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>