Re: Publicity via the LWN

From: "Stein Gjoen" <sgjoen@mail.nyx.net>
> "David C. Merrill, Ph.D." wrote:
> >
> > From: "David C. Merrill, Ph.D." <dcmerrill@mindspring.com>
> > > From: "Greg Ferguson" <gferg@hoop.timonium.sgi.com>
> > >
> > > Come on, people, there's gotta be somebody with a few hours per month
> > do
> > > this. The job consists of:
> >
> > I just realized I could have given the impression that I didn't notice
or
> > appreciate Ferg's offer. I want to clarify what I said.
> >
> > My very strong feeling is that we need for people who are not already
> > involved to step forward and help out. Free software and free
documentation
> > is a community resource and a community effort. YOU are the community.
Give
> > something back.
> >
> > I am doing that myself, so I have not problem whatsoever asking others
to do
> > the same. Ferg, Poet, Jorge, and others are doing plenty already!
> >
> > 'nuff said.
>
> Just some minor details: the idea of the LWN submisisons is to make
> them embed the HTML text rather then link to it, so to make it
> easier on everyone it is best to follow their normal style. The
> simplest then is to use the existing two submissions on my home page
> http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/home.html
> and work from there. The first part such as the headers and perhaps
> even the link to the updated list could be reused every time.

They won't include a list of all our updates for the month. There are quite
a lot of them. A paragraph or two of text like you have been sending them,
yes, but not the list of updates I'd like us to send also.

I think the list of updates is important, because this lets people know that
we are an active project, that updates are always becoming available, that
our documents are improving, and that they should be checking us for
updates.

> I would be happy if the LDP webmasters uploaded my two submissions
> to the LDP pages. How about an announcements-page?

We currently post announcements on the home page. Are they okay there, or do
you see a reason to move them?

Side Note: We just added a link to the categorical list under "Browse by
Category" on the main page. I'd like to see the same link available beneath
"HTML index (with dates/descriptions; read HOWTOs online)" on the docs.html
page. Something like this:

HTML alphabetical index (with dates/descriptions; read HOWTOs online)
HTML categorical index (Browse by Category)

Regards,

--
David C. Merrill, Ph.D.
Linux Documentation Project